Mark A. Meyer is a leading international lawyer with a widely recognized expertise in international joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, privatizations, and international arbitrations for the major U.S., and European corporations engaged in manufacturing, energy, tourism, transportation, telecommunications, real estate development, investment and capital-raising activities such as AIG, American Express, Bell Helicopter Textron, Bouygues, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Chase Manhattan Bank, Coca-Cola, Continental AG, Crane Co., the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Exxon-Mobil, Raytheon, Holchim, IBM, Intralot, Metromedia, the National Bank of Greece, Northrop Grumman, Perini Navi, Petrom, Pfizer, Procter & Gamble, Raiffeisen Bank, Ruby Tuesday, Thyseen Krupp, TriGranit, Tuborg, Uniroyal, Volvo and Volkswagen AG. In addition to being a member of Herzfeld + Rubin, he is a member of Rubin Meyer Doru & Trandafir, SPCA, in Bucharest, Romania. Mr. Meyer was previously an Assistant District Attorney in New York County, where he prosecuted offenders indicted for crimes such as rape, robbery, and attempted murder.
- Mr. Meyer is the author of numerous articles in international publications on a wide variety of legal issues.
Affiliations + Recognition
- Member, Panel of Arbitrators of the International Center for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), an autonomous international institution that is part of the World Bank and established under the Convention on the Settlement of Investment Disputes between States and Nationals of Other States, to which there are currently 157 signatory nations, as well as the Panel of International Arbitrators of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution SM (ICDR), the international division of the American Arbitration Association, the Panel of the Romanian Court of International Commercial Arbitration in Bucharest, and the Panel of the ICC International Court of Arbitration.
- Special advisor for legal and economic matters to five European heads of state including the Presidents of Romania, the Republic of Moldova and the Republic of Montenegro.
- Recipient of the degree of Doctor of Laws, honoris causa, by St. John’s University School of Law in 2007. Mr. Meyer was described as “a pioneer in promoting the rule of law in Central and Eastern Europe since 1990.”
- Named, in 2004, a Harvard Law School Traphagen Distinguished Alumnus for his “great skill in the economic, legal and political transformation of a developing region”.
- Award by Fairleigh Dickinson University, in 2011, of the degree of Doctor of Humane Letters, honoris causa, lauding Mr. Meyer for: “embracing the promise of other cultures, working tirelessly to promote the rule of law in a developing region and building international relationships based on mutual cooperation.”
- Recipient of Fairleigh Dickinson University’s Pinnacle Award, its highest honor for distinguished alumni.
- Member, Executive Council of Fairleigh Dickinson University’s School of Public and Global Affairs, where he lectures on Foreign Investment in Emerging Markets.
- Adjunct Professor of Law, St. John’s University School of Law, teaching “Transactions in Emerging Markets”.
- Recipient, in 2009, of the St. John’s University School of Law annual Dean’s Teaching Award for Mr. Meyer’s outstanding qualities as a teacher.
- Recipient of Romania’s National Order of Merit, Rank of Commander, presented by the President of Romania in 2004.
- Chairman, since 1990, of the Romanian-American Chamber of Commerce, the largest bilateral trade organization in the United States devoted to Romania.
- Recipient, in 2006, from the President of the Republic of Moldova of the Republic of Moldova’s highest civilian decoration, the Medal of Civic Merit.
- Appointment in 2012, Mr. Meyer is the Honorary Consul of the Republic of Moldova for the State of New York.
- Co-Chair of the New York State Bar Association’s Committee on Public International Law since 2009.
- Member of the Advisory Council of the New York International Law Review, published by the New York State Bar Association.
- Formerly Chair of the Foreign and Comparative Law Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and Chair of the European Affairs Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and leader of the mission which authored a report in 2006 on the violations of international law in Moldova’s separatist enclave of Transnistria. The report became a United Nations document and formed the basis for a resolution of the Government of Moldova adopting a plan of action to utilize the rule of law to resolve the Transnistrian crisis. Mr. Meyer is a member of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York’s Council on International Affairs.
- Election as Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
- Election as a member of the Atlantic Council.
- Martindale-Hubbell’s highest legal ability rating of “AV” (Very High to Preeminent).
- Ranked since 2006 as an international business “Super Lawyer” in New York.
- Listing in Who’s Who in the World, Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in American Law, and Who’s Who in Finance and Business.
- Member of The Metropolitan Club and the Quogue Club.
- Mr. Meyer lectures widely throughout the United States and Europe on legal aspects of doing business in Emerging Markets.